Saturday, May 9, 2009

Web 2.0 and Library 2.0

In reading about Web 2.0 I feel like I am being bombarded by terms .... FOO camp, meme map, Ajax, mash ups, RSS, blogging, podcasting, and the list goes on and on. But what do these terms mean to the average user who is using the Internet, using Facebook, using MySpace, watching videos on YouTube, or even posting videos on YouTube? I think sometimes we so caught up with terms that we forget what we are actually talking about. I do not think you need to know all the terms that relate to technology in order to use the technology. I found I enjoyed watching the videos more than I did reading the articles. I really enjoyed the videos on NoTech's Blog about Web 2.0 and the terms related to it.

To me Web 2.0 is just another term to explain how we are progressing in technology. Being able to connect with people on the other side of the world, being able to access information in an instant, talking to people on my computer, not just by typing but by Webcam, all of these are advances that amaze me but are also things I have come to expect.

Library 2.0 to me just means the library must keep up with the demands of the users. This generation of users expects to be able to access information quickly, easily, and online. The library must make materials accessible on line. It must create an interface that the users recognize and want to use. The librarians of today need to be aware of what is being used in the world and to provide these types of programs to their patrons. I do not believe that technology will replace the library but the library needs to make use of the current technology if it expects to continue to provide a useful service to its users.

1 comment:

  1. I like the way that you put that Alice. I have often thought that the whole "Web 2.0" and various other names were just getting in the way of the experience. I'm glad to see that you know that libraries have to keep up with the times and offer up what our users need. You have a great understanding, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I am participating in the 23 Things for North Texas. I hope you enjoy visiting my blog as well as the others who are part of this fun learning experience.