Saturday, July 4, 2009

Library Thing

I created an account in LibraryThing. I added three of my textbooks that I had used previously in my course of studies. This site is easy to use, uses tags like everyone else, and is a great way to keep track of what books I have available. Once I find all of my books I may go ahead and put them in LibraryThing.

I tried to "Read the sections on ThingLang, ISBN Check, and MARCThing to see how they intersect with the tools used by regular libraries" and it took me forever to find them. Once I finally tracked them down I basically found out that you may need a developer key to get some results in LibraryThing returned the way you want them. I appreciate programmers I just don't want to be one!

I like the Groups tab. I enjoy reading what others are posting. I also liked the Local tab. You put in a city and state and it gives you all the libraries, bookstores, and other interesting places in that area.

I can see using this in the library to read reviews of books that others are reading or staying up on current events. There are times when I will need to order books and having some input by others can be helpful. The Author chats are something that I think could be useful it helps give more information about authors and books I may not be aware of or have not read yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I am participating in the 23 Things for North Texas. I hope you enjoy visiting my blog as well as the others who are part of this fun learning experience.